Known to be the mother of all antioxidants, Glutathione has proven to be a very essential part of everybody's health and wellness. Glutathione is a non-protein amino acid and a tri-peptide substance made up of glutamic acid, cysteine and glycine. This substance plays an integral role in the immune system being a powerful antioxidant against harmful free radicals that people get exposed to everyday. Naturally produced by the liver, heart, brain and the muscle tissues, glutathione helps in building up lymphocytes, the body's defense and foundation of the immune system.
Many have thought that glutathione is only to brighten and beautify the skin. Unknown to most, glutathione has far more benefits than just physically maintaining youthful skin, it is more importantly an indicator of how long one can live. According to studies, glutathione is the most essential antioxidant because it is formed within the cell, the smallest unit of the human body's foundation. It's not just superficial as it generates from within the core of the cell.
How important is glutathione in the body? It helps the liver detoxify fat before bile is emitted. Bile is the liquid substance emitted by the liver that helps in the digestion of fats. Though glutathione is naturally produced by the body, there comes a point when one decreases glutathione level due to some natural and human activities encountered day by day. For instance, the natural process of aging decreases the glutathione level in the body. Chronic stress, modified foods with artificial chemicals and overuse of medicines are also factors leading to destruction of glutathione.
Deficient glutathione levels have a negative impact in the human body. For instance, red blood cells can rupture and also impair the white blood cells known to be the soldier of the body. Without the white blood cells, body becomes vulnerable to free radicals and other harmful agents in the environment.
Though hundreds of glutathione supplements are available in the market, your body may not be ready to absorb them well.
Taking in supplements is not always the best way to boost amino acids. Natural process has always been the best way to improve one's health. Here are some tips to increase glutathione level.
1. Eat foods rich in Vitamin C. Aside from making the body strong against viruses, this nutrient can help build glutathione as well. Fresh tomatoes, fruits such as lemon, orange, grapefruit and other citruses are not just healthy, they're delicious, too. Avoid cooking them especially the vegetables since this process can destroy the natural glutathione contained in it.
2. Melatonin is another good source of glutathione. Cherry is rich in melatonin. This substance increases glutathione level in the brain, muscles and liver.
3. Increase intake of cysteine, one of the three compositions of the glutathione. Foods like eggs, yogurt and oatmeal are rich in cysteine. Avocado is a good source, too.
4. You may also take Vitamin C supplements and herbal supplements for the liver. The liver has the highest concentration of glutathione since this organ is responsible for detoxification. Hence, glutathione is the number one detoxifying agent.
5. Omega 3 supplement can increase glutathione, too. Fish oil is the number one source of Omega 3.
6. Maintain a healthy diet away from vices such as alcohol, nicotine and other chemicals that can harm the body and destroy glutathione.
Without glutathione, nerve tissues will deteriorate which may then lead to a weak body. With the commercialized foods and extremely abusive life activities in this generation, one should be conscious about taking in natural remedies to help increase glutathione level. Fruits, vegetables, diet, exercise and a healthy lifestyle sums up the ways to maintain glutathione, the power molecule that is essential to life.